Sweet relief

A couple nights ago I watched "Julie & Julia" for the first time. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed a movie as much as I enjoyed that one. Maybe I enjoyed it because of it's realistic portrayal of life. Maybe I enjoyed it because it made me laugh, or maybe because it made me cry. But, I think what really made me enjoy it so much was that it was about cooking. For me, cooking is not merely to create something to devour, but rather to create something merely for the sake of creating it. To unwind after a difficult day, some people paint, some people draw, some people write, some people sleep, some people run...and I cook. It is an art to me. It gives me a sense of achievement to create something beautiful and delectable. This week had been exhausting (emotionally, spiritually and physically), however, nothing brings me more relief than to slip into my sweat pants, wander into my little kitchen, and whip up something delicious...or in the case of this week specifically, chocolate truffle pie. That, my friends, is some sweet relief.

"Do you know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say nothing, I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate, and sugar and milk, it will get thick. It’s such a comfort." [Julie & Julia]