Savior or Genie?

Lately, I have been spending alot of time studying, praying and wrestling through an epidemic that seems to be infiltrating Christian thinking. I stumbled upon a sermon clip by John Piper on this issue, and I haven't been able to move past it. It is sickening, devasting and so far from the true Gospel. I like to call it the "Genie in a Bottle" Gospel.

Where did we get this idea that God is some genie in a bottle that we can whip out whenever we "need" him? Where did we get the idea that it's okay to live our lives for ourselves, doing what we want, not pursuing the Lord wholeheartedly, moment by moment -- and then say, "oh crap, this is a tough circumstance, let me drop to my knees, rub my genie and pray for some guidance." How heartbreaking this must be to a God that so desperately loves his children. How completely devastating for the God of the universe to be so insulted, under-utilized - shrunken down to a mere good luck charm.

Revelation 16 reminds us that it is better to be hot or cold, rather than lukewarm. Francis Chan writes in one of his books, Lukewarm people say they love Jesus, and He is, indeed a part of their lives. But only a part. They give Him a section of their time, their money and their thoughts, but He isn't allowed to control their lives.

Savior or Genie? Something to think about...